3/19/2015

Orenius/Emanuelsson Australian agility seminar weekend






The weekend with Jouni & Isabelle's seminar was so much fun! 
This seminar was 3rd agility seminar with working spot, but it was THE BEST SEMINAR so far :D and I am so happy to hear that they are most likely coming back to Australia next year!! 

Unfortunately, something was wrong with Niah... :( 
He was extra sensitive with Environmental noise, arena's echo and being scared.  
Yes, Niah has severe thunder/noise fear - 
 
I am not sure if the noise was only reason why he wasn't running and knocked that many bars.  We always train in 600cm height and he has no bar problem and I have never seen him running like this weirdly.. So I booked him in to check up with Sports Vet if he has rear end / or shoulder problem...
Except being nervous with Niah... I had so much laugh through all the weekend with friends, everyone was so friendly and relaxed mood - Jouni and Isabelle were absolutely beautiful people with beautiful energy - Great and fun instruction with a lot of inspiring tips, and I've got to try so many new moves and techniques. 


So What did I learn? 

Advices from Jouni

Independence
* Trust my dog and send sooner from distance, Teach my dog independence is REALLY IMPORTANT!! make my handling much easier and I can be always always in front! 


Yes.... My ear is in pain.  I have been hearing this again and again and again since I start learning with Jouni and Zeljko's online courses.. 

So... I am still on process, must improve this -  I have to teach Independence with verbal que.  Trish told me to test verbal que from 3-5 meter away, send dog with verbal only - without any body movement and see if my dog really understand it.
If no- then we needs to work on harder. If yes, Just trust my dog and go!!
 

Dogs line
* Give a space between wings, don't cross the dogs pass.  I have been baby sitting Niah too much and always on his way.... specially when I am doing Push/Pull, S-Turn, Ketschker, I am slowing him down too much and loosing his speed.   Make sure I think more of dogs line, and my position and most importantly, timing of que.
 

Eye contact on Blind Cross / Double Blind Cross
* Blind cross; turn my shoulder180° quickly, Don't afraid to excute Blind Cross early, and ALWAYS retain eye contact with clear shoulder direction when dog is taking off, showing where to go next.



Advices from Isabelle

Compare different handling options by: 


- Natural line
- Distance
- Time
* Always time with stopwatch, compare which option is faster and understand which option is suitable for us. 


Get low on dog's height, indicate clearly where to take off / where to go next
Show dog where exactly the take off point and landing point by hugging the wing jump when wrap. 
(This might be not necessary with Niah, He has good understanding with wrap/landing point. But take off point is important thing to consider indicating for him, he seems taking off from middle of the jump)


Do not backward walking - Face the dog, Think my chest direction (present) and feet always goes forward (future) 

Basically, human are better in walking forward, backward moving is always slower than forward moving..
So... "Japanese turn" (aka-Double Blind Cross) become very handy for me to keep us always being forward and in front of dog. shape the dog's line by Japanese turn, 
Retain eye contact quickly, let go with quick turn. Keep working on timing, motion, and connection.

Run Faster!!!
In general, YES, faster and faster... But don't run too fast everywhere.. 
Wait for him - Connect with him then RUN!! :) I have to connect with him more stronger. 


In summery, Isabelle and Jouni are world top class agility handlers and its obvious that I really can't do what everything they do.. we have completely different course, rules, and Level of competition is almost opposite. 
But Isabelle said beautiful thing for us.. 

The most importantly, Find what technique, option will suits us, and be good at it, make it your own move. All dogs are different, so shouldn't be restricted by One handling system...  Because WE ARE THE FUTURE who is changing the Australian agility, courses and handling :)
- Keep discovering what moves will suits us, better way to make dogs line,  and better time !

I really love that.  I totally agree with what she think about handling system. 

I went through to learn quite different systems last couple of years, and to be honest, I have been sick of hearing "You have to be consistent with ONE HANDLING SYSTEM" 
Specially where I live in Victoria - using one handling system is like "a cult group of agility". 
No, I never agree with this.  I have been just happy to pick what Niah and I can do, and keep on moving to search new challenge, and what elsewhere in the world is facing up to -and The biggest challenge is "How we can apply those new moves, new challenges into Australian courses?."
Isabelle and Jouni are not a method of Agility,  They are my big respect and inspiration for us, and it was the most inspiring agility weekend and I learn so so so much from them :) 

MY BIG 5 to practice for this year are: 
  1. Blind Cross shoulder rotation and eye contact 
  2. Independence
  3. Double Blind Cross timing
  4. RUN faster!!  
  5. Chest and Feet Direction  
Here is a video from the weekend :)   
I will let you know what's Sports Vet says about Niah.... Finger crossed he is okay!!


No comments: